Skip to main content

HOW THE WORLD SHOULD SEE AFGHANISTAN (Afghan Voices)- Fayeka Zabeen Siddiqua

“The reaction is not positive in most of the time,” says Shayesta Ehsan an AUW Afghan student, “The moment I say, I am from Afghanistan, they start uttering words like ‘war’, ‘Taliban’, ‘Bin-Laden’, ‘bomb blasts’!” So who is to blame? “I don’t blame them; it is the way Afghanistan is portrayed in the media” says Shayesta. “When I was 5 years old, I along with my family immigrated to Pakistan. There as well sometimes we had to listen to curses like ‘dirty Afghans! Go back to your country.’ This is the attitude people need to change.” So who is to blame? “I don’t blame them; it is the way Afghanistan is portrayed in the media” says Shayesta. “When I was 5 years old, I along with my family immigrated to Pakistan. There as well sometimes we had to listen to curses like ‘dirty Afghans! Go back to your country.’ This is the attitude people need to change.”
Christine Roehrs, the spokeswoman for Save the Children in Afghanistan in a report confirms that, “Basically, you didn’t have girls educated in 2001. And now we have 3 million girls in school.” At the same time she emphasizes that still there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

By the grace of media we get to know about Afghanistan’s ethnic conflicts but we know very little about the richness of Afghan poetry, their national celebrations, their cuisine, their culture.


Asian University for Women in Chittagong currently has 47 Afghan young women studying there.
Farhan Azizi a young Afghan man currently studying in India informs via email, “When people learn that I am an Afghan the immediate reaction that I get is the women of my country are grounded in the house covering their head to toe in burka, while the reality is not like that. We have women working for the Afghan National Army, today our women rule over the parliaments; we have women doctors and teachers. People need to get out of that mind-set regarding Afghanistan.”
SOURCE: THE DAILY STAR 
original article: http://archive.thedailystar.net/beta2/news/afghan-voices/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imagine I am a Cow! ( THE ARTICLE OF COW! )

Imagine I am a Cow! Muttakin Rashid Alvi No, I am not joking at all! I am serious about this! I am really a cow now! So let me SHOUT, “Humba!’’ At least for some kind of harmony for sometime.                 My eyes see and feel many bad things happening around the planet. But the only thing that I can do is SHOUT, “Humba!’’ Because I am a teen aged cow and my horns aren’t too long let alone being sharp. I can’t express my feelings like humans do and so I can’t protest that much.              I like moving from one place to another. I love the fascinating tea gardens and when I am on the hill-tops I feel cheerful about the fact that I am far far away from humans.               I see liars, frauds, cheaters but I can’t burn their lips. I see eve teasers but I can’t be the goddess of vengeance. Because there is no Nemesis for giving me any kind of regalia for a fe...

TRAPPED IN A CLOCK’S TRAP!

TRAPPED IN A CLOCK’S TRAP! Muttakin Rashid Alvi     What a ridiculous situation it was at a Malaysian Hotel! I was sleeping in our room. There were two beds in the room — for me and my sister. While I was having a mellow dream, an alarm (set in my mobile phone) went off loudly. It ruined my sleep. To my horror, I saw on my phone that it was 4:30 am and my sister wasn’t in the room. I searched for her everywhere in the room. Then I ran out of the room. My parents were in the next room. I knocked on their door vehemently. Not a sound came out from the room. I returned to my room and called the reception. I told them that my sister has disappeared. They kept saying, “Disappear? Disappear? How? How?” I was crying and wondering why would my sister go out without informing me at the wee hours. This was our first time there and we didn’t know the place well yet. That thought made me more anxious. Moreover, my sister’s mobile phone was in the room and after calling my parents...

Social Media Addiction Facts Including Reduced Attention Span

In this content, we will discuss the addictive nature of social media sites, as well as how and why addiction to social media may be exploited to build a business. We will look at the negative aspects of Facebook Addiction, TikTok Addiction, Snapchat Addiction, and Twitter Addiction, as well as how these social media platforms generate such deadly addictions and what the repercussions or consequences of social media addiction are.