Skip to main content

Protesters worldwide for Bangladesh garment safety

Protestors stand outside of the Gap Inc. headquarters on April 25, 2013 in San Francisco, California. The United States said Western brands buying clothing from Bangladesh had a "critical role" in improving conditions in the sector, even as leading US retailers refuse to sign a new safety pact.
       
                   
The United States said Western brands buying clothing from Bangladesh had a "critical role" in improving conditions in the sector, even as leading US retailers refuse to sign a new safety pact.
Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman visited Bangladesh, the world's second biggest garment maker after China, to urge the government to learn the lessons of a building collapse last month that killed 1,129 workers.
She referred to the changes in regulations, building codes and inspections implemented in the US after the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York, which killed 146 workers.
"It was a transformation and we hope that is the case here in Bangladesh as well," she said late on Monday following meetings with government officials, workers' groups and businesses.
Asked about the role of international buyers, she said they too must work to improve safety in an industry plagued by accidents and "sweatshop" conditions for workers, who are paid less than $40 a month.
"Absolutely, the buyers have a critical role. We will continue to work in every way to get the buyers to come to the table and every appropriate way to play the part that they must play for a sustainable solution," she said.

-Bangladesh garment factory collapse death toll rises to 1,129.

-The textile and clothing (T&C) industries provide the single source of economic growth in Bangladesh's rapidly developing economy.

-U.S. urges garment buyers to stay engaged with Bangladesh

-International workers' associations such as Swiss-based UNI and IndustriALL Global Union have pressured Western retailers to sign up to a legally binding agreement committing them to independent building and fire safety inspections.
-"Ultimately, success will depend on the will and commitment of industry, government, civil society, and every day Bangladeshis to come together to change the culture of workplace safety and worker rights in Bangladesh," - U.S. Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy R. Sherman.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imagine I am a Cow! ( THE ARTICLE OF COW! )

Imagine I am a Cow! Muttakin Rashid Alvi No, I am not joking at all! I am serious about this! I am really a cow now! So let me SHOUT, “Humba!’’ At least for some kind of harmony for sometime.                 My eyes see and feel many bad things happening around the planet. But the only thing that I can do is SHOUT, “Humba!’’ Because I am a teen aged cow and my horns aren’t too long let alone being sharp. I can’t express my feelings like humans do and so I can’t protest that much.              I like moving from one place to another. I love the fascinating tea gardens and when I am on the hill-tops I feel cheerful about the fact that I am far far away from humans.               I see liars, frauds, cheaters but I can’t burn their lips. I see eve teasers but I can’t be the goddess of vengeance. Because there is no Nemesis for giving me any kind of regalia for a fe...

Social Media Addiction Facts Including Reduced Attention Span

In this content, we will discuss the addictive nature of social media sites, as well as how and why addiction to social media may be exploited to build a business. We will look at the negative aspects of Facebook Addiction, TikTok Addiction, Snapchat Addiction, and Twitter Addiction, as well as how these social media platforms generate such deadly addictions and what the repercussions or consequences of social media addiction are.